Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Why I Hate Thanksgiving...Not!

Now, if you thought that I was going to go into a bloated diatribe about why Thanksgiving sucks, then your wrong. It is however, a common theme echoed across the blogshpere this time of year. I hate Turkey, my family sucks, everyone just sits around the TV watching football, its a holiday based around killing the Indians, these are but of few of the Internet yodeling justifying why the Holiday stinks. Why argue with that, right? Wrong.

So you hate Turkey, that's fine. One of my customers at the shop hates it as well, but instead of calling off the holiday or complaining about how much he hates fowl, he served his guests Surf & Turf. Hate going home for the Holiday because your family is crazy, then don't go home, host your owl Thanksgiving and ban TV watching all together.

Don't agree with the ideology behind the celebration, then come up with your own. Host your own dinner in honor of the way of life that was destroyed by the settlers. Have all your guests dress in black and cook traditional Native American dishes. What I'm, trying to say, is that you have the power to reinvent the holiday.

As for me, I love thanksgiving. I love it because, over the past 12 years, my friends and I have created our own Thanksgiving traditions based on what we feel the Holiday should be about. It's all about the Family that you choose,

and a table big enough to house them all,
Its about smacking the Turkey,
answering tough questions like, Muppets or Fraggle Rock?
and behaving like a child again,

For me, its about cooking a feast that is worthy of friendships that have survived and thrived over the years,
its about cooking with loved ones,

and most importantly, its about Dorky Dance competitions,


To the Thanksgiving haters, these sentiments may seem paltry but, to them I say, try it one year, and then tell me you can't come up with at least one reason to be thankful.

22 comments:

Madeline said...

My vote goes to the one who not only danced with the dog,and then the unicorn pinata, but who also humped the floor and pulled the turnips, that's right Farmer Matt, you got my vote.

Vivian said...

Matt all the way...and the dog should get a bone haha

g-ben said...

Although Matt has some good moves, I think if this is a Dorky Dance contest, I have to give it to give it to Chris for the facial expressions.

regine said...

Wavey davey 10 points!! For the the rest of the candidats 9.99 points!!
That is the funiest video ever!!!

Anonymous said...

I think I've seen a few of those moves before. Glad to see the Peikes' clan actually danced this year. Without a doubt, Farmer Matt is my choice. His moves were organic, sexy, and inspiring. --LeNell

Madeline said...

Though I did not vote for him, I must say, it is amazing that Christopher the Drifter did all those crazy moves, all with a glass of wine in his hands. And not one spill!

Unknown said...

my voteeeeee is for drifter maneeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

Vivian said...

I think we all did amazing and I have a special prize for everyone...I love how it all fit together and the editing is brilliant....however what a wild dorky bunch we are haha!

blythalala said...

i vote for the non-wine spilling christopher the drifter. because i, too, am remarkably adept at doing crazy, dorky dancing without disturbing whatever it is that's in my glass and find it inspiring in others. i would also like to give a nod to the one known as paddlin' madeline. this mainly because i noticed a few spins in there. being an avid deadhead, i appreciate the spinners.

Mahka Crafts said...

I am thankful that I will get invited to next years thanksgiving with Madeline...
And I am always thankful for a good excuse to make some super yummy desserts

Kara said...

Wavey Davey! I loved them all though...

David said...

I'm going with Maddy for the synchronized unicorn moves! Good stuff!

Margeaux said...

This is Margeaux speaking...
I vote for Derek Diggler, my sweetie.

Molly said...

Hey Madeline, you're oh so right. Thanksgiving is giving thanks for the friends and family you've created. Eat whatever you want, with whomever you want, and ignore the faux history.

The Friar said...

For me it was a toss up between Mauri the Mouse and The Pruster, but I have decided to cast my lot in with the cat scratching fever of Mauri the Mouse. The hint of retro-20's vaudevillian theatre adds an extra hint of dork-dom to this stunning performance.

Prudence said...

I think I kindof rocked it but Matt took it, ran with it and damn you are one hell of dancer.see you on the dance floor.
xo

Horvendile said...

Everybody was too talented to be dorky! Having said that, I think it's a toss-up between Pru for best channeling of Ann-Margaret and Mauri for best channeling of Eartha Kitt as Catwoman. Tough choice there, but I think I'm going to have to go with Ann-Margaret.

Honest Abe said...

Matt wins. There is no question.

Love,

Abraham

Mauri said...

Though I love Matt's garden moves, and was thoroughly impressed by ol' Derreck the Diggler's crazy legs and clever exit, my vote's gotta go to Christohper the Drifter. The man has no bones! He's loose as a goose!

Chef Gulzar said...

Hi

Nice post...Good stuff!
Great job! thanks.........



James Parker….
Chef Gulzar recipes in Urdu

Zubaidatariq said...

Hi,

Great post! That is the funniest video ever!!!Good stuff!



John Williams
Zubaida

Marie said...

Found your blog after looking up the variously named Atlantic Fruit and Veg Japanese Grocery - lovely blog, and I loved that post.

I clicked on your banner to get to the home page from that post and it took me to Flickr instead...not sure if you knew, I guess you do! :-)